Biology of Cancer: Medical Programme Lecture
As part of our medical programme at David Game College, a series of lectures and seminars is arranged that covers a range of medically-related topics.
The lecture on the biology of cancer will cover the following topics:
- Which animals also get cancer – not just humans
- What is cancer?
- The special case of Naked Mole Rat!
- Medical facts around cancer
- Correlations and causations
- The cell cycle, mutation and genetic basis of cancer
- Genomic instability
- Why evolution helps explain cancer
- Cell transformation
- Necrosis and apoptosis
- Tumour formation
- Genetics: proto-oncogenes; tumour suppressing genes and miRNAs
- Epigenetics and cancer
Everyone is welcome, but we expect those who are applying for medicine or medically-related courses to specially attend as the content could prove very useful for knowledge development and towards helping out with potential interviews.
Monday 21st January 5:30pm in room A214